Productively Insecure

12:23 AM Elizabeth Seckman 28 Comments

I must apologize for being a horrible blogger this summer. Though, truth be told, I'm always a horrible summer-time blogger. The older my kids get, the rarer the opportunity to spend time with them. So, family time cuts into productivity time. 

But it's not like I've been a total slug. I have a story outlined and I have about 40,000 words written. 

I've also rehabbed both my bathrooms. My son asked me why I chose to tear into both bathrooms at once and the only good answers I could come up with were 1) they both needed it 2) querying is such a slow process and a total emotional drain, it's nice to direct creative energies into something with an immediate pay off. 

BloggerImage
The upstairs bath. The last time it was painted, the boys were little so it was fine in zoo animals. They weren't thrilled to see their elephants and lions go, so I redid the room in manly style...all but the polar bear. He's a left over from the zoo. 
BloggerImage
My favorite add- the shelf. When my oldest was one, he helped his dad plant a maple tree in the front yard. It's roots kept getting into the sewage line, so it had to be cut down. My husband saved a section of the tree and turned it into a shelf. 

BloggerImage
The colors are the same as before because I like my curtains and didn't want to change them

BloggerImage
But the bath got a new tub surround, flooring, and baseboards. The baseboards weren't even a day old and the puppy chewed the corner. She's damned lucky she's cute. 


OPTIONAL IWSG Day Question: What are your pet peeves when reading/writing/editing?
Interruptions! Wouldn't it be awesome to have access to a deserted island to disappear to for a few hours a day? 

Sign up here

Thanks to Alex and this month's co-hosts: 


Connect with the IWSG:

Thanks this this momth's co-hosts. Christine Rains




28 comments:

  1. I take it with the boys home this summer, interruptions are happening a lot?
    Both bathrooms at once? You brave soul...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,
    I've stopped apologising for not writing consistently on my blogs. I write and my book has top priority.
    All the best.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Patricia at Everything Must Change

    ReplyDelete
  3. That shelf is so nice! And I would totally say that writing up an outline, 40,000 words and rehabbing 2 bathrooms is having a productive summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both at the same time? Geez, going must not have been very sublime lol

    The pup was just having a little fun. Interruptions can sure be a pain, but onward we go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. I've been working on real-world projects too. The kind that talk back and make messes. =) Summer is meant to be different from the rest of the year, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on the bathrooms - I love that you've got a sentimental attachment to a shelf :-)

    When I'm querying - and indeed, when my draft is out to beta readers ;-) - I get a lot of cleaning done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 40,000 words written is better than my zero. ;)

    Nice bathrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the changes to game bathrooms! Congrats on the huge writing word count! I don't like interruptions either so i use post it notes to keep me straight lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need that island, desperately! My bathrooms may not need redecorating, but they certainly need a decluttering and scrubbing. Maybe tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interruptions are the worst, but your bathrooms look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to join you on that deserted island, if I could, Elizabeth. Peace and quiet--and working, new bathrooms. Wouldn't that be nice? Good luck keeping the pup away from your bathroom construction and finding peace!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being a horrible blogger totally understandable. Being a horrible mother, no. It seems you've chosen the right path, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bathrooms looking pretty good Liz. Glad you have been getting some writing done too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Summertime blogging is hard. It's just hard to focus. Congrats on all that writing though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love 'em! That shelf is so cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, great job! But both at the same time! You're one brave woman! I've been a lousy blogger this season too, trying to make up for it during this IWSG post by visiting all of them. Whew, that's one big task! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always have the BEST answers! Querying stinks, but I'm glad you're putting your waiting time to good use instead of checking email every five minutes like some people ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't get on as often in the summers either. And when are you coming over to do my bathrooms? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Being interrupted is annoying. All the best Liz and cool bathroom pics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job on the bathrooms. Enjoy the time with your kids. Too soon they're gone. I agree about being interrupted. So annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think most of us aren't the best bloggers in the summer! But you've written 40,000 words!! That's awesome! You've done WAY more than me lol!
    Suzy xxx
    Suzy Turner
    Yogadocious

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, I think it's catching. I've been pretty bad about blogging this summer too. Not that there's anything wrong with summer!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Like you, I'm a lousy summer blogger but a great summer writer. So cheers to that! Give me 40,000 words over a few extra posts any day.

    Also, awesome bathrooms! I love the bear toilet brush holder. Well, the bear probably doesn't love it so much...

    ReplyDelete
  24. All the best! Writing is the first priority!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks really nice.

    Although writing is important, family time is as well, so I say enjoy it guilt free. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cute bathroom makeover's. It's so lovely to lounge in a new bathroom. :) And Weldon of 40k word count (and good luck for a positive response form publishers). X

    ReplyDelete
  27. Modern plumbing is essential;) As for querying, I find the best balm for it is to keep writing:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Twin bathroom rennos? Awesome. What courage! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...